Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tip du Jour: Trim Your Nose Hairs the 28th of Every Month



I realize now that I was remiss in not teaching my kids a lot of basic life skills, such as how to check the oil in their cars, but I never even thought of passing on my theory of nose-hair hygiene.

Actually, in my defense, I didn’t develop my nose-hair regimen until, oh, a decade or so ago. I didn’t even realize I needed one until one day when I tripped. On one of my nose hairs.



And now, I’ve also had to develop an ear-hair regimen because, well, a blue pill is the least of worries for men of a certain age, in my opinion. Finding hair in all the wrong places is the main problem.

Back to basic life skills. Obviously, I should have showed the kids what’s under the hood of a car instead of just assuming they learned it in driver’s ed, like I did. I still remember laughing at a joke one day that pivoted on a dumb blonde trying to put oil down that tiny hole — the dipstick hole instead of the oil entry point. (Mind you, I scolded the joke teller, insisting that I found dumb blonde jokes distasteful.)

Imagine my surprise, then, about a week later, when Brendan called me and asked how to get oil down the little hole. DOH! The joke was on me — and I really felt like a dipstick.

Similarly, I should have clued the kids in to my nose-hair-clipping schedule. Perhaps that would have spared my oldest, Annie, from the angst she endured when Amelia looked up at her the other day and said, “Spider webs, mommy?”

From the mouths of babes, and 2-year-olds . . .

Of course, I wouldn’t narc Annie out if she hadn’t narc’ed herself, via Facebook. People say the darndest things about themselves on Facebook. Indeed, Art Linkletter could have had a bazillion more things to run if Facebook and YouTube had been around when he used to regale TV audiences with his kid kwotes.

With no further ado, before I bid this life adieu, I figure it’s my obligation to tell not only my kids but also the 10 or 12 people who read this blog the best approach to keeping spider webs out of the old schnoz.

Timing is the key. You must trim once a month — at least that works for me. And my schedule is simple: The 28th of every month, I haul out my little battery-powered nose-hair clipper and whack away.

Why the 28th, you ask? It’s simple, really. If I waited until the 29th, then I would end up missing a month every leap year. Why not the first day of the month? DOH! That answer is simple, too: To avoid confusing it with other notable holidays, such as New Year's Day and May Day.

So the 28th is best, to avoid confusion.

Speaking of confusion, I’ve found that missing a month can be nearly fatal. I’m anal, you see, so, if I happen to miss the appointed day, my OCD tendencies force me to wait until the next opportunity. And a month’s overgrowth can snarl a guy’s arms and feet like the trees trying to grab Dorothy in the forest.

In short, guy can trip on a birds nest of nose hairs, fall down the steps and break his hip. And it’s all downhill from there.

So, chilluns, when your car needs oil, take it to the dealership, which I do because I never knew how to change the oil even back when cars were easy to work on. And clip your nose hairs on the 28th of the month.

The only alternative I can think of is just giving up and braiding the snotlocker locks.




Amelia’s words of wisdom to Annie came during a visit to the Midwest. I hadn’t seen her since she was a baby, and MY how she’s grown. She nestled right in with a bunch of stuffed toys at our house, when she wasn’t eating watermelon, that is.





And now, I’m going to go clip. My toenails. I don’t have a set date for them.





.

No comments: