Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How Do I Get the Boat Out of the Basement, Jethro?


I feel a bit like Mark Harmon’s persona as Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Oh, not because I actually look like Harmon, although I did try to force my hair into his bowl-cut, center-part iteration for awhile.

          I looked nothing like him, in more ways than one. And my hair just wouldn’t behave like his (much like it wouldn’t behave like Colin Farrell’s during that phase of my spiky-haired-wannabe-ness).

On the other hand, I echoed Gibbs with the boat-in-the-basement dilemma that was a pivotal point in “NCIS.” My boat was like his hair, in that my inflatable model looks NOTHING like his finely wood-crafted model, just like my hair wouldn’t hew to his style.


          On the upside, I didn’t have all of the sawdust to contend with that Gibbs did during his meticulous fashioning of the wonderful wooden hulls for boats in his basement. I think he built four. The prevailing question on the show was why did he build the boats; the running joke was how did he get them out of the basement.

That’s my dilemma now: How do I get my boat out of my basement? Kate got it for me for Valentine’s Day, and I recently inflated it. It appears seaworthy or, in my case, river-worthy, IF I can just get it out the door.

The look on Jazzy's face indicates that she appreciates my dilemma. (If I could read her mind, methinks it would be saying, "What was he THINKING?")

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this dilemma reminds me of a certain home-made card you once sent me ... after it "inflated," I couldn't figure out how to get it back in the envelope!!
Grits